Help for Rape and Sexual Assault

All College employees and students, excluding Student Health Center staff, licensed professionals from the Counseling Center, the College Chaplain, and the YWCA Victim Advocate are obligated by Title IX to report sexual misconduct. These individuals are considered “Confidential Employees”.

To discuss a situation involving sexual misconduct confidentially, notify a Confidential Employee or their off-campus equivalents.

To report a situation involving sexual misconduct, contact a non-confidential resource, such as the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator.

What to do if you or someone you know is sexually assaulted

1. Go to a safe place

Your safety is the HIGHEST priority. If you feel unsafe, contact Campus Safety at 269.337.7321 IMMEDIATELY.

Whether or not a victim of sexual misconduct decides to report the incident, s/he should seek support immediately. Twenty four hour assistance is available on campus and in the local area.

2. Reach out for support

You do not have to go through this alone. The resources listed below or to the right of this page, friends, and family members can help you work through this experience and help you begin the healing process.

The Sexual Violence Prevention and Advocacy website has several resources and information about campus-specific supports available for survivors.

3. Seek medical attention

  • 911 – For all Kalamazoo-area police departments
  • 269.341.6386 – For the Bronson Hospital Trauma and Emergency Center 24 hour line
  • 269.226.6917 – For the Borgess Hospital Trauma Services 24 hour line

When necessary, seek immediate medical attention at an area hospital and take a full change of clothing, including shoes, for use after a medical examination. Area hospitals may be required by law or policy to contact law enforcement. If transportation to a local hospital is needed, a victim should call Campus Safety 269.337.7321 for assistance. Calling for transportation will not result in an investigation unless the victim discloses to Campus Safety that they have been sexually assaulted.

4. Consider having evidence collected

If you choose to report the assault and pursue legal options, physical evidence can be important. Specially trained Sexual Assault Nurse Practitioners (SANE) are available at the YWCA to collect physical evidence. If you need a ride to or from the YWCA, Campus Safety can escort you 24/7 at no charge.

In the case of sexual assault or sexual violence, do everything possible to preserve evidence. The decision to press charges does not have to be made at this time. However, preserving evidence will help ensure that this option is available in the future. Victims should not bathe, shower, douche, brush teeth, or change clothes (if you have changed your clothes, put the original clothing in a paper bag). The resources listed here are the points of contact as a first response to an incident of sexual misconduct.

5. Consider reporting the assault to Kalamazoo College Campus Safety or the police.

Campus Safety

269.337.7321 (24 hour line)

Campus Safety personnel are here to help you. They are available 24 hours a day to assist you. Campus Safety is NOT a confidential resource. The officer will provide you with options available to you as a victim in reporting the incident or they can immediately contact a counselor in the Counseling Center to assist in exploring options.

Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety

269.337.8994 (24 hours non-emergency line)

Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety is available 24 hours a day to assist you. KDPS is NOT a confidential resource. An officer will provide you with options available to you as a victim in reporting the incident.

6. Consider reaching out to the Kalamazoo College Counseling Center

269.337.7190 or 269.337.7191 (Monday – Friday from 9am – 5pm)

269.337.7321 (available 24/7 by contacting Campus Safety)

A counselor is on call 24 hours a day for emergency situations. Your conversation with a licensed psychologist is confidential. The counselors can assist with your medical and emotional needs. They will help you explore options and provide referrals and resources that are available to you as a victim. You may contact the number above directly or have someone call for you.

7. Consider reaching out to other resources


269.385.3587 (24 hour crisis line)

The YWCA has a 24-hour crisis line covered by YWCA staff. This is typically the first step a victim/survivor takes to access the services provided by the YWCA. In addition, volunteers throughout the community provide supportive services to a sexual assault victims in the hospitals or in YWCA Nurse Examiner facilities.


211 or 269.381.4357 (24 hour crisis line)

Gryphon Place connects people to information, resources and support systems to assist them in resolving crises and meeting life challenges.


800.656.4673 (National Sexual Assault Hotline)

National Sexual Assault Online Hotline

RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) offers an phone hotline and an online hotline for victims of sexual assault. Both are free, confidential, secure services that provide live help.


855.864.2374 or
(24 hour crisis hotline)

Established by the State of Michigan, Voices provides support for sexual assault and abuse, health options, legal options and rights, and information on how to help a survivor.

Follow Up Response

Counseling and Psychological Services

Students have the opportunity for one-on-one counseling on campus in the Counseling Center. Confidentiality laws protect the conversations you have with a counselor. Services are free. Another option is to seek counseling from a mental health provider off campus. The Counseling Center can provide community referral and resource information to you.

Student Health Center

Students may seek medical assistance or seek answers to their questions and concerns by visiting the Health Center.

Student Conduct Process

When the accused is a Kalamazoo College student, the victim is encouraged to pursue formal college disciplinary charges through the Title IX Coordinator. This disciplinary system is an internal administrative process used to establish violations of the Kalamazoo College Student Code of Conduct, Student Sexual Misconduct Policy, or Policy Against Harassment. Although there is no time limit on the filing of charges, prompt reporting is likely to result in an equitable resolution.

Reporting Discrimination/Harassment by Faculty or Staff

When the accused is a Kalamazoo College staff or faculty member, the victim may file a complaint with the Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator will work with Kalamazoo College Human Resources on the investigation and discipline.

Kalamazoo Public Safety

When an individual believes a crime has been committed, it is recommended that charges be filed with local police. You may report a sexual assault to the police as well as seek internal college support or disciplinary action. The College has no control over the investigative and legal process that may result when you report a crime to the police, and will not wait until an external investigation is finished before pursuing internal disciplinary processes. Internal and criminal processes occur simultaneously.